Visiting Richmond, New Norfolk and Bothwell


In the heart of the wide open, 26 km (16 miles) from Hobart, lies the curious town of Richmond. This was the main range conceded to free pioneers from England for cultivating, and at its middle they built up a township reminiscent of their country.

Richmond now incorporates some of Australia’s most established pilgrim engineering. The greater part of the structures were developed by convicts, including the sandstone connect worked in 1823, the correctional facility of 1825 and the Roman Catholic Church of 1834.

Today, Richmond is a vivacious community for provincial craftsmen and craftsmans. On the primary road, between the old general store and mail station, they possess a large portion of the notable homes and cabins.

New Norfolk

From hobart, the Derwent River travels north, then veers west through the Derwent River Valley. The jump ranches and oast houses along the willow-lined waterway are declaration to the zone’s history of blending. At the focal point of the valley, 38 km (24 miles) from Hobart, is the town of New Norfolk.

A significant number of the main pilgrims in the area deserted the frontier settlement of Norfolk Island to come here, henceforth the name. One of Tasmania’s arranged notable towns, it contains many fascinating structures, for example, the Bush Inn of 1815, which cases to be one of Australia’s most seasoned authorized bars.


Settled in the Clyde River Valley, Bothwell’s wide avenues are set along a stream of a similar name, in the past known as the “Fat Doe” waterway after a town in Scotland. The range’s names were allocated by early Scottish pioneers, who touched base from Hobart Town in 1817 with their families and 18-l (5-lady) barrels of rum stacked on bullock wagons.

The town’s legacy is currently saved with about 50 National Trust structures dating from the 1820s, including the Castle Hotel, the Masonic Hall (now a workmanship display), Bothwell

Grange Guest House and the Old Schoolhouse, now home to the Australasian Golf Museum. The stone heads over the entryway of the Presbyterian St Luke’s Church portray a Celtic god and goddess. Indeed, even the town’s fairway has a claim on history as the most established in Australia, as it was laid out in the 1820s.

The town lies at the focal point of the memorable sheep-cultivating region of Bothwell, extending along Lakes Hwy from the southern midlands to the well known trout angling region of the Great Lakes. It is likewise the door to the toughly delightful Central Plateau Conservation Area – a tableland which rises unexpectedly from the encompassing level farmland to a normal tallness of 600 m (almost 2,000 ft).