Harike Wetland is the biggest wetland in northern India and is situated in the Tarn Taran Sahib locale of Punjab. The well known Harike Lake lies profound inside the recreation center. This man-made wetland was made accordingly of the redirection developed over the Sutlej River in 1953 and along these lines remains at the intersection of Beas and Sutlej waterways. It involves a region of 4100 hectares and spreads into three regions of Punjab in particular Amritsar, Ferozepur and Kapurthala. It is additionally a water hotspot for the Indira Gandhi Canal, arranged in Rajasthan. The rich biodiversity (especially winged animals) of this wetland helps in keeping up the environmental and in addition natural adjust and pulls in a substantial number of voyagers. The Harike Wetland otherwise called Hari-ke-pattan is an acclaimed goal for feathered creature watchers. There are numerous more neighborhood attractions for visitors as it is as far as anyone knows just a hour from the city of Amritsar.
The mid year season is very hot with temperature lying in the range 23˚C – 45˚C from March to July. Substantial storm hits the city at some point amid July to September. The winter season keeps going from October to February.
Best Time To Visit
The best time to visit Harike is amid the winter months from October to February when a considerable measure of transitory feathered creatures are known to visit the wetland.
Natural life and Vegetation
Water fauna is available dominatingly in the Harike range. Upwards of 7 types of turtle and 26 types of fishes have been accounted for here. These incorporate the imperiled testudines turtle, smooth Indian otter and so on. Angle assortments found here incorporate rohu, catla, channa, chitala, puntinus, cyprinus, ambasis and so on. The Indus dolphin that was beforehand revealed wiped out in India and discovered primarly in Pakistan was as of late spotted at Harike Wetland. The earthly creatures found here incorporate mongoose, Indian wild pig, normal jackal and wilderness feline.
- Flying creatures
Come winter, come flying creatures! Around 200 types of avian fauna are known to visit Harike amid the winter season from far away grounds, for example, Siberia and the Arctic. These incorporate cotton dwarf goose, darker headed gull, sulfur bellied lark, white winged tern, tufted duck, sell, darker shrike, striated grassbird, Eurasian tree sparrow, Indian skimmer, yellow delegated woodpecker to give some examples. Upwards of 45,000 ducks have been recorded here amid the pinnacle season. You should keep your binoculars prepared to get a look at these breathtaking species.
The wetland is rich in skimming vegetation including plant species, for example, Eicchornia crassipes, Azolla, the lotus, typha, ipomoea aquatica and so forth. The drifting vegetation portrays grand magnificence with all the bright winged creatures flying over. As of late the wetland confronts significant risk from the broad weed water hyacinth that appears to obstruct the water system supplies.
Distance From Nearby And Major Cities
Harike wetland is near the urban communities of Amritsar, Ferozepur and Kapurthala. Remove from these and other real urban communities is as per the following:
- Amritsar: 58.5 km through NH 15
- Ferozepur: 66 km through SH 20 and NH 15
- Kapurthala: 69 km through NH 703A
- b 79 km through Dalla Rd
- Ludhiana: 108 km through SH 20
- Chandigarh: 210 km through NH 95
- Jammu: 267.4 km through NH 1A and NH 15
- Himachal Pradesh: 294 km through Shimla – Nalagarh – Dhanauli Marg.
- New Delhi: 434 km through NH 1
- Jaipur: 620 km through NH 11 and RJ SH 7
- Mumbai: 1680 km through NH 8
- How To Reach
- Via air: Nearest air terminal is at Amritsar at a separation of 60 km from Harike Wetland.
- By rail: Nearest railroad station is at Amritsar arranged 60 km away.
- By street: From Amritsar, you can employ a transport or a taxicab towards Harike Wetland. A taxicab ride costs around Rs. 1600 – (at least 2000) for a day trip.
- Harike Lake and Harike Bird Sanctuary at the Wetland are justified regardless of a visit for experience searchers, nature significant others and winged creature mates.
- The city of Amritsar is just a hour’s drive from Harike Wetland. Various vacation destinations saying a lot about India’s battle for autonomy are available all through the city.